- Fecha de publicación
- 25 septiembre 2018
- European Committee of the Regions
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden
Thumbnail copyright: Committee of the Regions (report cover)
The purpose of the study ‘Models of Local Energy Ownership and the Role of Local Energy Communities in Energy Transition in Europe’ is to inform the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) in the preparation of its opinion on local energy communities. This study aims to support the opinion through an analysis of:
- Different local ownership models and the enabling framework conditions or obstacles/ barriers they face;
- Energy cooperatives, their socio-economic impacts and relevant aspects of the regulatory environment;
- The EU legislation and how it addresses the operation of local energy communities.
Section 1 provides an introduction to the topic and outlines some key concepts. Section 2 focuses on the different models for local energy ownership and provides country examples with the aim of illustrating typical success factors and obstacles for local energy ownership. Section 3 explores in more detail energy cooperatives as an example of local energy communities, examining their socio-economic impacts, aspects of the regulatory environment that affect them and providing some best practice examples. Section 4 offers an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the EU legislation that can impact the operation of local energy communities, the analysis covers both the current legislation and some key proposals from the post-2020 policy framework. The final part of the study, section 5, provides conclusions and recommendations based on the findings of the previous sections.
To the extent possible, recommendations for policy-makers at different governance levels are distinguished. The study is based on a review of publicly available literature and information sources and stakeholder feedback collected through interviews and the CoR stakeholder consultation workshop on "Models of local energy ownership" held on 10 July 2018.