Skip to main content
Energy Communities Repository
News article6 April 2023Directorate-General for Energy

Citizens and local authorities: converging views on local renewable energy projects?

LIFE LOOP report

A brandnew report on cities and civil society’s perception of energy community has just been released. It identifies the available capital and presents barriers and opportunities for the collaborative development of energy communities with municipal involvement. Those findings are the result of a survey by to better grasp the realities regarding collaboration between citizen energy cooperatives and local municipalities in different parts of Europe. The survey, carried out at the beginning of the year in the framework of the LIFE LOOP project, targeted people involved in energy cooperatives or communities as well as local municipalities.

About 63% of the respondents are engaged in citizens organisations, while the rest (37%) represent local municipalities. 71.5% of the respondents had already been involved in a specific community energy project, while the remaining 28.5% were not. Overall, they represent 16 EU and 2 non-EU countries.

Read the full-text article and access the report here.


Publication date
6 April 2023
Directorate-General for Energy